Lehrter Straße 59
This stadium served as model for many sports facilities throughout Germany.
The Poststadion facilities were built between 1926 and 1929 at the behest of the German Postal Administration (Reichspostverwaltung). The extensive complex that included a sports arena, football fields, tennis courts, an indoor swimming pool, and a rowing centre was constructed on a former parade ground. In terms of significance for the city, this new facility soon took the place of the Deutsche Stadion (German Stadium) located in the Grunewald, and it became the preferred venue for many national and international sports events. The Poststadion was one of the first multipurpose arenas and became the example on which numerous other sports facilities in Germany were modelled. The building was heavily damaged during the Second World War, but in the summer 1945 it was already opened again. Subsequently, it hosted football matches of many different leagues. Among other clubs, Hertha BSC used the stadium during the years the club was playing in the second and third division. After the site had been abandoned to gradual decay, the stadium, which has historic landmark status, was rehabilitated in several phases between 2003 and 2010.
Additional topics on the information board
- Georg Demmler
- Football in the 1936 Olympic Games
- Use from the beginnings to today